"Magicianary" - A missionary who does magic to bring joy and happiness as well as share the gospel with the people of Madagascar (According to Brad)

Monday, January 23, 2012

Hello Family! - Jan. 23, 2012


How is everyone doing this wonderful week?!

This week was pretty good. We were supposed to have Eric's baptism this last Saturday, but some things came up, and our bishop said the Stake President moved it to next week. So that was kind of a bummer but hey, he is still getting baptized.
On Sunday, our Stake President, Pres. Donnelly, and Pres. Mkabelah (I don't know how to spell his name, I tried looking it up on LDS.org but couldn't find it.) from the Seventy was all there. It was a really good sacrament meeting. The president of the Deacons Quorum gave a talk. It was really touching and he bore an amazing testimony that he started to cry. After everyone was done giving their talks, Mkabelah brought up the boy and commended him for his strong testimony, and gave his own and it was just an awesome meeting. After we had a pretty good investigators class. We learned about agency. Every time I learn about something here it seems to have a bigger impact on me. I don't know if it's me just being older or me just learning to see the blessings in my life or maybe I just learn better in Malalgasy. I am so grateful for our Savior Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for us. Twas a really good class.

In priesthood, President Donnelly came in and so did Pres. Mkabelah. Pres. Donnelly asked me to translate for him and Pres. Mkabelah. I just sat there stunned and doubting myself. I had no idea how to translate,
Malagasys and Americans talk very different in what words they use. Pres. Donnelly gave me some encouragement and I agreed to do it. Luckily Pres.Mkabelah had to leave early to get back to South Africa, so I only had to translate for one person. I surely wasn't proud of my performance but I got the job done. My brain was fried after. Elder Landon tried talking to me and I could not come up with a credible thought. Luckily, no one needed the missionaries after church so we just headed home to rest my brain for a little bit. After eating a version of top ramen called Sedaap, we headed out to teach. We were teaching this way diligent investigator Ihary, she always reads anything we give her, she is just great. But then her neighbor from above came down to see what was going on, so naturally I invited him in to learn with us. Him being a Malagasy on a Sunday, had nothing better to do, so he came in and listened respectfully. We taught about the Fall of Adam and the Atonement. This was actually only the second time I have taught the Fall of Adam and the first time was with Evans, my trainer, so I didn't do much talking. It actually turned out good, I got stuck in a couple places but I was patient and listened to the little promptings and they both understood the lesson. The neighbor Iandry, said that he wasn't free again until next Sunday so I just gave him my last two pamphlets to read before next week. I can tell that they are going to be good investigators. That experience really brought my spirits up from the no baptism thing.

I know that this church is true. I know that the Holy Ghost is real and testifies of truth. I love my Heavenly Father and I know he loves me too.

Love,
Elder Walker

PS: I'll explain the picture, there was some extra razors and shaving cream when Wilson and Bates left, so I decided to shave for the first time in my life. Of course I have the electrical shaver but this is the actual kind of pull razor. I got a little excited with the shaving cream but you should have felt my face after! Phil will protest but it was definitely smoothER than just the electrical. And I really think my hair is growing faster now... Sorry Momma, but I think you're gonna have two lumber-jacks when I get home.

No comments: