"Magicianary" - A missionary who does magic to bring joy and happiness as well as share the gospel with the people of Madagascar (According to Brad)

Monday, February 25, 2013

It's Come to an End - Feb. 25, 2013

I'm what malagasies would say "faly sahirana". Which basically means that I'm happy and sad at the same time. I can't wait to see my family, be in America, wear normal clothes and such but I'm sad that I'll be leaving Madagascar, their culture, the other missionaries, the people and lots more. I loved serving here for two years. I have grown so much. I have seen what God has blessed me with, and his amazing mercy and love that he has for all of his children. I have learned how powerful the Book of Mormon is. I know without a doubt in my mind that this church is true. I don't know really know what to say. I'm thinking too much about these next couple of days. I'll be sure to share with you all the scary stories that I experienced during my mission. If they are not scary then they are definitely exciting. 

I have learned to be patient in all things. Now, sometimes I forget that but I have learned it. We must always follow the Lord's way and try not to force ours because we will not grow that way. I have learned how powerful the Atonement is in our lives, how repentance and faith works. It is all very interesting and it is impossible to just write down in one email. This gospel is so simple but can be studied forever. I have learned that by showing respect and loyalty that our love for someone may grow immensely. I have learned and found out that I can love someone so much that they become like family. I have been so sad each time I have left an area. 

This past Sunday I bore my testimony and yes I did tear up but no drops came so in two years I have made almost no progress on the crying part! I have gotten pictures with everyone that wanted some taken with me. It has been hard just to leave this area, that I've only worked in two months. I'm sure the sadness is mixed in with the leaving Madagascar all together. 

For my birthday I went over to my favorite members' house and they fed us food and a little lesson and what not but what happened after is the fun part. So the Malagasy tradition is that on your birthday that you have eggs smashed on your head and then flour thrown on you too. Turns out that I went through my last initiation to become a full Malagasy. I had about five or six eggs smashed on my head and a bunch of flour thrown on me to celebrate my 21st birthday! It was a blast! I loved every minute of it! I passed out the candy that you guys sent me and I filmed them eating the pop rocks. It was really funny, I'll show you when I get home. They loved it, I loved it, ir was all good! We rode home and I got some looks from the people left over on the street. At home I went to go take a shower and... our water is not on!!! So I had to try to wash out dried eggs and flour out of my hair with dripping water. It was definitely an adventure and I'm glad I won't have to worry about that again, at least the no water thing haha! 

I'm going to miss Madagascar so much. I hope they have felt my love for them. 

I love you so much and I can't wait to see you all again. Be sure to have some extra smiles in the house. That is something that I have not forgotten to do. Love you all!!!!!!!

Love,
For the last time, Elder Walker

2 comments:

Mike Winder said...

Missionary Photos Wanted for New LDS BOOK!
Author Mike Winder is working with Deseret Book-owned Covenant Communications on a missionary photo book that will contain inspiring quotes, scriptures, and thoughts to help inspire young people to serve a mission.
He is looking for amazing missionary photos from around the world. Do you have any favorite pics that evoke emotion (inspiring, humorous, etc.)? Do you have any photos with your companion in front of temples or iconic images (Big Ben, Golden Gate Bridge, Asian pagodas, etc.)? Do you have any showing missionaries in action (service projects, teaching, tracting, baptizing, etc.)? How about funny missionary pics, ones with the Book of Mormon, with food, with kids, or with animals?
If so, please email a few of your favorite ones to mike@mikewinder.com by July 31. Images must be at least 1MB in size to be published (low resolution images would be too blurry in print).

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.