"Magicianary" - A missionary who does magic to bring joy and happiness as well as share the gospel with the people of Madagascar (According to Brad)

Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas is so close!! - December 19, 2011

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Every where we go. Take a look at the 5 and 10, it's glistening once again, with candy canes and silver lanes that glow. "........Well not really. 


Sadly, there is no snow here and it doesn't seem like we will get any time soon. But that's ok, there is a first for everything. I'm still just as excited for Christmas as usual! I can't explain how jittery I get when I think about it. Anyway, I got your guy's package!! And I opened it and yes I did read the letters inside but I didn't open any of the presents. It was a little confusing when you guys talked about some of the presents in the letter but it just made me more excited. And I love the candy! I think I already have some cavities from them. My teeth aren't used to the amount of sugar that's in them. I didn't know that G&G sent a package! I can't wait, hopefully it is in today. 

Elder Landon and Brad
Well I guess you guys are just dying to know who my kid is. His name is Elder Adam Michael Landon. He is from Las Vegas, Nevada. And is just as excited as ever to go out and work. I was so surprised when we went out for the first time, I was dreading it so much because I thought I wouldn't understand anything. But luckily I could understand almost everything that was being said! I think they just dumbed it down so that Landon could somewhat understand. It was a little difficult when one of our investigators asked about the new Jerusalem. He was like comparing it to something in Revelations and I could not understand what he was so concerned about. He is the greatest guys ever. I committed him to be baptized on the 7th of January because he has been learning for over two months now and has learned everything and loves learning the gospel and comes to church every week, he is already married, already followed the word of wisdom before we met him and agrees with everything taught in the church. So naturally you would think he is ready to be baptized but no. He said he wanted to learn everything possible there is to learn before getting baptized. I told him that would take an eternity, literally. I told him that I was still learning, that I learn something new everyday when I read the Book of Mormon. We talked about the principle of faith and not needing to know everything first just believing it to be right. He didn't seem satisfied with that answer so then I taught about the Holy Ghost and how it can help him learn faster and more in depth. But he needs to be baptized first to receive the Holy Ghost. That kind of warmed him up a little but he is still a little hesitant. And then I made my favorite promise in the world, I told him to pray about it. It is the best guarantee you can make, you can always rely on God to come through. I told him to pray and ask God if he should be baptized on the 7th of January or not. Very specific very simple and it gives the chance to receive a simple answer, Yes or no. I've learned so much about prayer while on the mission. I've learned that its so important and that we would be lost without it. Life would be so hard if we didn't have the chance to pray whenever we have a bad day or when we have a question or whatever. So we will see what he says on Tuesday when I go back to him. If not him hopefully his daughter still wants to be baptized on the 7th. 

So when Landon and me became companions they gave us the "12 week program" to follow. It is this new thing that started right after I got to Mada. It is basically this schedule for the first three months. It tells us what to do for comp study and certain goals that Landon needs to accomplish before each week ends, Like extend a baptism date or contact someone, something like that. We need to do two hours of comp study with another hour of language study along with the hour of personal study before all that. I don't know about you but it is starting to sound like the MTC all over again. That is a lot of study time! But the goal of this program is when the three months end, the trainee is ready to be the trainer. It is crazy how fast you can learn a language if you try hard. Well Landon got here on Wednesday and had dinner with the Donnelly's and then on Thursday all the trainers went to the office in Tana to pick up their kids. We had a couple meetings about being a trainer and the relationship with the trainee. And then we had a delicious lunch prepared by Sister Donnelly and then we found out who our kids were. Me and Landon got back to our house at 6 and we just went to a time at 7. He extended a baptism date the first appointment he went to. And then the next day he contacted a couple people. He is already a pro at the language. It is definitely going to be a long three months but at least it is with someone that I get along with. He went up with Bates to Anasobe the next day. So him and Bates slept there and held down the fort up there. Bates basically was senior comp for a day and a half. Elder Wilson is lucky to get someone already so good at the language as a companion. 

Well I don't have much else to report about except that I love you guys! (Even the people that read this on the blog) 
Have a wonderful, great Christmas!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Elder Walker
A Malagasy storm + some old wood = broken pole in the middle of our road

No comments: