"Magicianary" - A missionary who does magic to bring joy and happiness as well as share the gospel with the people of Madagascar (According to Brad)

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Waiting for blessings - July 18, 2011


[I told Brad that I didn't understand his scripture for me - thus, the explanation.] And now I speak unto you, Joseph, my last-born. Thou wast born in the wilderness of mine afflictions; yea, in the days of my greatest sorrow did thy mother bear thee.
 I was trying to point out that part. You were always there to pick someone up. You were always there when I was down, to lift me up. 

That's so crazy about Dani, she is like a mini Nat. Away from home more than at home during the summer :) Apparently they don't send missionaries to Reunion [a smaller island that is part of his mission] unless they have French experience (knock on wood). You guys have been married for 29 years??!! No wonder you guys are basically falling apart. Dad you better take it slow until I get back so we can play some basketball when I get back. 

So the teaching has been going good. I've started to wonder if I'll ever get tired of people asking to be baptized after hearing just the first lesson... probably not. The people here amaze me everyday! My teacher from the MTC, Brother O'day, came and taught with us on Sunday. It kinda through me off my groove because I was thinking of phrases he taught me to say and also thinking of just the way I learned to teach while in Mada. I couldn't decide what to say and it just came out weird. Oh well, they still want to learn so everything is alright. I don't know all the members, but we went to a member's house last night to have a soire (meal appointment) and they have been members for 6 years. They also have been to the temple in South Africa. The food was really good there, we had lots of rice, beans and fat. I know it sounds gross but when you cook fat the right way it is very tasty. You just have to make sure you cut it up into little enough pieces because it comes in big chunks. Don't worry I'll make it when I get back.

Well I didn't get any scriptures for anyone but I'll keep looking. I want to testify about waiting for blessings. As missionaries we are told to obey to exactness. As members we are told to be perfect as our Father in Heaven is perfect. Both of these goals are very hard to accomplish. So when we make progress toward that goal, we want the promised blessings right away. But if we continue to obey and try to be perfect instead of wait for the blessing until we progress again, then we will be so much happier; with ourselves and from the continuous blessings we will receive. I am still learning how to do this. But I know that Heavenly Father is always ready to give us blessings when we follow him in love. We just have to remember to pray, ask for blessings along with follow the commandments and have patience.

 Elder Walker

No comments: