"Magicianary" - A missionary who does magic to bring joy and happiness as well as share the gospel with the people of Madagascar (According to Brad)

Monday, January 7, 2013

It is finalized!! - Jan. 7, 2013

The 27th of Feb is for sure the date that I'm going home! It is so close and it is kind of scary but if that is the date that I need to go home then I'll go.

Our New year's wasn't very exciting, we just went with the other two missionaries in our house to a dinner appointment at a member's house. It was really fun! The family has been members for a while now. They have four sons and three daughters. One of the sons is already married with four kids, and one of the daughters is married with one kid. But the next oldest daughter just turned in her papers and the next oldest son is still preparing but close. They are gonna bring a lot of people to Christ. They are such a fun family, they laugh and joke around a lot.
Thursday we had district meeting and then right after me and Elder Waters took a one hour bus ride to a place called Saradroa. It is a little group here in Madagascar. The bus we took there was THE smallest bus I've been on my whole entire mission! It had the driver with the two passengers up there and then it went back only three rows instead of the usual four or five. Elder Waters and I got shoved in the back because we were the last ones there. But the second to last row's seat was broken so it leaned back a little, and the end of the car leaned inwards a little as some do. And to top it all off, we had stuff put under and around our feet so we couldn't move them at all. It had to be one of the most claustrophobic times on my mission!!!! And saying that after I've been here for a good amount of time is saying something. But we lived through it so all is well right? Me and Elder Waters only had time for a couple times. We taught this almost deaf grandpa. Elder Waters was yelling right into his ear and he could barely hear sometimes. Then we taught the mom of the group president there. She could still hear so it was a less stressful time. After that we went over and had corn on the cob with some members. Here in Antsirabe, they farm a lot of corn and potatoes. So there are no complaints here. It's a lot better than having pig fat with the skin and little patches of hair still on it. And then at the end of the corn eating we had to depart and head back to Antsirabe. We stood by the road and flagged down any car we could get because we were literally by nothing else. So it took a couple minutes until an actual bus going back stopped for us. It was nice because this bus had only three people and was bigger than the one we took there. We also took some sweet pics. The ones on photobucket are just some of them.

Friday was pretty normal, we have been teaching some less-active families lately. We can't make a really solid program here with investigators because we are always doing zone leader stuff so we just go visit less-actives or members when we can. But anyway, we  had one time where this member took us over to her house to teach her two daughters who are in their twenties or thirties because they have never gone to church or done anything religious their whole life. So we got there and just waiting for the daughter to come down the stairs. It took a little bit for them to come and I was a little confused why. Then one of the daughters walks in with something one her foot. It looked like a cloth was wrapped around one of her middle toes, I couldn't really tell because it was getting dark and they didn't have electricity or any candles. So she put her foot on the table and kept on wincing in pain (I still don't know what it is) So we started talking with the mom and the daughters and the member that was with us. They were saying something but I couldn't understand them and I was partially distracted by the mystery thing on her foot. Well they went on to say that she got an infection two years ago and they didn't do anything about it because it didn't hurt. But this past year it has started to really hurt and grow alot. And then it clicked! What I thought to be the cloth was the growth from the infection! I have to say that the smell from it was not pleasant. They said that this past year it has been hurting way bad. And you definitely could tell because she didn't stop wincing from the pain once during the time we were there. Just imagine having to deal with that for a year! What I'm guessing and is probably the reason because it's the reason for many things in this country is that they don't have enough money to get the infection removed. It is really sad because she can't work and get money for her kid but has to sit inside the house all day and do nothing. It made me very grateful for the medical advances we have, and also just how clean our country is compared to a third world country. Hopefully they can get some money to take care of that. 

Saturday we went to a place called Chez Billy. Chez is pronounced "shay" by the way. It is a hotel/restaurant. Before I went there I said "chez billy's" in a western accent because it sounded like a hick name. But when I went there it wasn't really western at all. The owner is really fun and loud. The two out of three servers are "rasta" which means they have dreadlocks, or just have the whole Bob Marley thing going on. But they make amazing steak there. That is the one thing missionaries have gotten there for at least a couple years now. There are some businesses here that have made some cash off of the missionaries over the years just because it is the only constant thing in this country. So that meal was very delicious.
On Sunday, I went on exchanges with the Elders in Manandona, to do some baptismal interviews. It was nice cuz they have a car. Their area is four little branches so they need the car to get to all the far away places. First we headed to the Manandona branch which is about a thirty minute drive which is about 50 kilometers and spent sacrament meeting there. There was a member that prayed to Jesus at the beginning of sacrament meeting. And that same member got up to bear his testimony and was telling another member that they need to repent for the bad words that were said to him. Luckily no names were said. But as you can see there are still some areas that need some work. 

Riding with Elder Moore to Manandona

On the way to Manandona

Right outside the church in Manandona

The river in Manandona they use to baptize in.

Outside the church in Manandona
After sacrament meeting we headed to another branch called Besoa. Which was about three of four miles back and another two miles off the main road. We actually had to stop and walk half the way because there was a sketchy bridge we didn't think could hold the truck. So after we crossed the bridge and went over a short hill we came to a part of land that was just full of rice patties. I'm telling you right now that I'm gonna be the best on the balance beam when I get back! We went and walked on the less than one foot wide paths that were separating the rice patties. It is a lot easier to balance on something when your life depends on it. Ok maybe not your whole life but at least my dry clothes life as we know it. No worries because we all made it across safely. When we got there it was a humble 28 people at church in a one room building. It was fast and testimony meeting so when we walked in late the group president made us two missionaries and the member get up and bear our testimony. After their sacrament meeting was over I went and interviewed the one young man. He was actually taught by his friend all the lessons and knew everything really well. Almost the best that I've seen actually. His friend just got his mission call to New Zealand! That's the first Malagasy I've heard go there. He was really excited, he is going to the Provo MTC on the 29th of Jan. I was thinking about visiting him in the MTC after I get home. Cuz he'll still be there until the 29th of March. But we'll see. 

After church was over we headed back to Antsirabe. We just went on split with the Manandona Elders in our area because it was already three o'clock and they can't go out into their area late at night. So we split up and sometimes went all four of us missionaries to teach some people. And at the end of the night we went over to Madelines (the big family with kids going on missions) again too for another dinner appointment.

And that was the week! I hope that you guys enjoyed your own because I sure enjoyed mine here! Remember to always read your scriptures everyday. They are a huge blessing to us, don't take them for granted. Just imagine what knowledge you wouldn't have if you weren't part of this church. It helps me to always to be grateful for everything we have.

I love you all, talk to ya next week!

Elder Walker


1. You said your companion is in the group after you so did you know him in the MTC? No because they go in one after another, they don't overlap. I left June 6th and he got there the 8th.

2. I had to laugh about Elder Waters being the tallest missionary in the mission. Have you been taller than any of your companions? I'm sorry I couldn't contribute more tall genes to your makeup! 
I was taller than my mini missionary (who was malagasy) other than that I think I was the same as Elder Landon, my first trainee.

3. Is there anyone in your zone that you see that I would know? 
I don't know anyone who says they are in Antsirabe, Ambositra, Fianarantsoa or Toliara are in my zone. I don't think you know anyone besides the secret friends you make on Missionary moms that I don't know about.

4. Where is Elder Wilson right now? 
He moved up to Tana the same transfer I moved down here, after being in Fort Dauphin for Seven maybe even eight months. He was in Fianarantsoa for four months and then went staright to Fort D. So he hasn't been in Tana for a LONG time.

No comments: