"Magicianary" - A missionary who does magic to bring joy and happiness as well as share the gospel with the people of Madagascar (According to Brad)

Monday, September 19, 2011

Smart Drunk Guy - Sept. 19, 2011


By the way, I DO like Justin Bieber. This week was normal, teaching, preaching, doing what missionaries do... Well let's just jump right into the good stuff and explain the title. Elder Smith and I teach this guy named Jean-Claude, he lives way far out in the boonies, takes about 45 min to get there. He is an awesome investigator, it's just a little hard to get him to church. Every time we teach him, he is... I wouldn't say completely drunk, but you can definitely see and smell he has had a few. So me and Elder Smith come back after giving him the Book of Mormon the last appointment and tell him to read the introduction. He read the whole introduction, and the first couple chapters of the Book of Mormon! I don't know if you are amazed by that or not, but we were! Investigators don't usually read the first time, none the less, more than we give them! But that is not where he stopped to amaze us, he then started to act out what went on in the first couple chapters that he read. And after he was done with his one man show, he continued to tell us what the scriptures meant and what the moral of the story was. And yes it was all correct. I have no idea how he could remember what he read, or how he can do all of that when he is drunk. Oh, and we also taught him the six things in the Word of Wisdom that we should avoid, after we were done teaching it, about three or five minutes after he takes out a piece of paper and writes all of them down except one. I think alcohol helps his memory, I am just baffled how he can remember so much! Hopefully he stops drinking soon :)


We had had an afo-dasy (bonfire) on Saturday with Elder Smith and my investigators and El-bakri and Southwick's investigators. It was really fun I gave the spiritual thought with Mosiah 24:14-15.

 14 And I will also ease the aburdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand asbwitnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their cafflictions.
 15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord didastrengthen them that they could bear up their bburdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with cpatience to all the will of the Lord.
 I really like that chapter. And then after Southwick gave a lesson on repentance, he is really good at Malagasy by the way! It was a good activity, we played games after, it was fun. I love how you can take one scripture and teach it so many different ways. The scriptures are awesome! 



So we are planning on getting 10 baptisms on the eighth of October. Hopefully some of them will get married on time so they can get baptized. That is the only major problem in this country, is getting married. You have already heard me go off on that so I'll just leave that alone. Hopefully all the branches will get enough baptisms on that day so that we can do it in the ocean again! It was way cool the first time.


Speaking of October, yes there is an Island conference. And yes, Elder Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve apostles is coming to talk to us. And yes I am playing an arrangement on the piano and Elder Nelson could possibly come to that portion of it too. I'm kind of nervous to play in front of the whole mission and possibly Elder Nelson, but if I practice everything will be OK. Every one will be going to Tana for that.


So transfers were last night, and Elder Muau'i from my group is coming up to Tamatave! I'm so excited, it'll be way fun to have him up here. Me and Smith are still comps so thats good, I like him a lot.


Mom, don't worry about teaching on how to teach. You were a teacher before, you know how to teach. A fifth grade teacher none the less! You taught simply to fifth graders, so tell them that they need to teach simlpy too. Like I said to Dad you need to tell them what they should and need to do, and if its true, the holy ghost will testify and help you with your teaching. You should read the excerpt from the Teachings of Brigham Young book so you can understand better but thats the best I can explain it.


I love you all, this might sound selfish but keep praying for me!


LOVE LOTS,
Elder Walker




1 comment:

It's Just me...Crazy "T" said...

He is such an awesome missionary! I love reading about all of his work.
lol
T